Monday, April 12, 2010

heavy.


I've been through of lot of crazy experiences, but last night was one of the most frightening moments of my life. After a long day of mixing and making magic at Seahorse Sound Studios, my dear friend and producer, not to mention mentor, Crooked Cowboy, headed for home, and I followed a few minutes after. I texted him from the studio about mastering. He did not respond, but I did not really think anything of it, and I hopped on the 210 San Bernadino freeway to be on my way. It was pouring buckets of hard rain, and I could barely see in front of me. I was going fairly slow and driving carefully, while my tired ears listened to the mixes from the day. Some cars started slowing down and I crept past what looked like a familiar vehicle, stopped in the middle of the freeway, facing oncoming traffic. The car was totaled; the windows and windshield were shattered, there were no lights, and it looked quite horrific. I will never forget the image of that vehicle and how it had a quiet, eerie stillness about it. The scene was very, very dark. There was a large truck pulled over on the side of the freeway, and no officers on the scene, so it must had just happened. I texted Crooked Cowboy to see if he was safely driving, in hopes that my wild mind was playing tricks on me, but he did not respond. I frantically called him and only reached his voicemail. My body grew numb, and I exited the freeway to turn around. From the looks of the accident, whoever was in that vehicle surely could not have made it. As I drove to get back on the freeway, I could barely see in front of me. My mind was spinning in circles, and I felt that I was going to faint. Is that his vehicle? Am I going to come back to find him dead? Is this wonderful person who believes in my music and was out there to work with me, now lifeless? This was literally a worst-nightmare scenario. The drive back to the freeway seemed to take years. I was trying my best not to panic, and just to get there and find out if it was him. I got back on the 210 ramp and slowly made my way back to the scene. The traffic was now fairly stopped, and all of the cars were trying to pass to the left. I made my way over to the right, hands gripping the wheel. My heart heavily dropped when I saw the Toyota emblem, and confirmed it was indeed his vehicle. Words really cannot describe the horrid feeling. It is basically this:

















.

I pulled over off the freeway, and an officer walked to my car and asked what I was doing there. I quietly whispered, "I think that's my friend." The officer asked me his name and what he looks like and said he'd be right back. I peered out the window and lo and behold, there was my talented, big-hearted friend in his black hat, standing in the rain, talking to an officer. Golly gee, nothing short of a miracle. A very shaken Crooked Cowboy walked to my car, and told me how his car hit water and he rode on top of the water, and lost control of his vehicle. It flipped, hit the freeway divider, and plopped into the middle of the freeway, facing huge trucks and cars. He managed to climb out of his vehicle on the right side, and raced across the freeway, through traffic and pouring rain. It's amazing. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

So yeah, life is short. You never know when it wants to take you or someone you love. Share your love and self with others, because we really just never know. I love the people in my life very much, and want them all to know that. Oh yes, and life, I love you too.


(photo of Crooked Cowboy by the beautiful Amanda Franny)

No comments:

Post a Comment