Monday, April 5, 2010

Indian Paintbrushes and Bluebonnets

I just recently returned from a trip to Texas. Haven't been in a while. I landed in Austin and enjoyed the warm wind and scenic route out to College Station, where my ma sets up camp and teaches college. The long road was framed with vibrant bluebonnets and colorful, coral red Indian paintbrushes, otherwise known as "prairie fire". Waiting for me were Grandma's gooey brownies and mom's soft, peanut butter cookies. The first meal was that oh so delicious TexMex that I adore, complete with warm queso dip and a satisfying shrimp dish.

The first full day was magical, as my grandmother, brother-Thomas, and I went to visit our old stomping grounds out in the woods. Due to family being in the military, I've had to move and change schools a lot. Coldspring was actually my favorite place to attend school. During that time I lived on a huge plot of land on the hem of the Sam Houston National Forest, as well as my great Uncle Johnny's farm. I went to school in Coldspring for three-and-a-half years before I was whisked out of 9th grade mid-year (during Mrs. Thompson's English class), and popped into a new high school in Willis, Texas. The following summer, I went out for a regular visit to my dad's place near the beach, where I skateboarded underneath the blue skies and sunshine, jammed to his Led Zeppelin records, and experienced beloved, blissful freedom..... and decided California was the place for me. Thus, I moved to the Golden State, jumped into my third high school, and have called it home ever since..... but, I still do call Texas home.......


This is my lovely grandma, after arriving to our old plot of land in Evergreen. This beautiful woman managed to climb through a narrow, rusty fence to go explore with us. The birds were singing, and it was a crisp, gorgeous day.


Hmm...Howlin' Wolf Lane? This is actually the corner of the dirt road where my little brother, Paul, and I would stand and wait for the bus. He was in elementary school and I was in junior high. There were times where we'd have to avoid vicious chow dogs, as well as deep, wet mud that we'd sink into. My brother and I would sit on separate ends of the bus, but now I would sit next to him every day.


Our "back yard". .. . .




This was the corner store. Unfortunately it's closed now.


Headed to charming Coldspring, Texas.


This is a real barber shop! Haircuts for five dollars. Magical.


This right here is "the Hanging Tree".....



I took more photos, but don't want to put too many in one post... but I highly suggest any visitors near San Jacinto County, Texas, check out this special little town.

Now, onto my favorite part of the trip... After dining at the Hop, a spot where we used to dig in to yummy grub and milkshakes after football games and such... we headed out to my Uncle Johnny's beautiful farm, where we were greeted with big hugs and ice cold sweet tea. This place was also my home, and is very near and dear to me.....


That lil' house in the upper right corner is where we lived with my Grandma. How lucky was I?? The woods and ponds were my oasis and terrain to explore. I pretty much credit this wilderness with saving my life .. . .. . . . .. . . . .


This groovy lake was in our front yard. A serene spot for fishin' and relaxin'.


This was the path to the bus stop every morning and afternoon. Generally we'd have to pass several stoic, and sometimes grumpy, cows.....




There are two small ponds and two large ponds on the property. I have explored every inch of this land. On the other side of this pond is a hidden stream with little waterfalls, which I loved to splash in.


We'd pick dewberries when they were in season, and my ma would make homemade dewberry pie.

All in all, I will always be a southern belle.

No comments:

Post a Comment