Thursday, August 19, 2010

pop tarts

The other day, my darling, eight-year-old protege spouted off some words of that talentless turdbucket, Ke$ha, including: "brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack." Now, I've listened to a few of Ke$ha's tunes, I've watched her videos....and I've tried to understand and "get" it. Truthfully, I haven't been able to *get* through a whole video, as there is no way a hot mess riding an elephant and yelping is going to keep my attention.

The fact that this garbage and audio feces is so widely smeared at the top of the charts, and adored, is truly frightening. I'm not a fan of modern pop, but I "get" Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, and why nearly everyone digs it. I scrunch my face at the mere mention of Justin Bieber, but I "get" the wee teen sensation thing. Wait, is he even a teen? Exactly. I "get" the audio tuned, pro-packaged catchy sections of Ke$ha's crap, but what I don't understand is how people can listen and groove to that annoying, obnoxious, and overly processed whine. What is it? Why? And a comparison to Salt N Pepa? Step down, lil' girl! While Salt n Pep may have followed a formula, they had elements that most music these days lack:

a message....and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment